Year After Kuje Prison Break, More Than 400 Escapees Still on Run

423 0

By Kasim Isa Muhammad

One year after the Kuje medium security custodial centre in Abuja, was attacked by a suspected terrorist group, the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) said over 400 of the more than 800 escaped inmates are still on run.

The Public Relations Officer of the NCoS, Abubakar Umar, stated that only 415 escapees were rearrested and are back in custody.

He said the search for the remaining escapees is ongoing, with efforts being made to recapture them.

He told the Guardian newspapers that the NCoS is working in collaboration with the Nigeria Immigration Service, sharing pictures and details of the escapees to assist in their apprehension at the borders.

“Following the attack, which took place on July 5, 2022, the NCoS had released the faces of approximately 70 high-profile Boko Haram members, seeking public assistance in their recapture. The attack on the Kuje facility was seen as a national assault and a significant threat to the security of the country.” He said.

It could be recalled that the Kuje incident was part of a series of attacks on prison facilities in Nigeria, with other custodial centres in Bauchi, Ubiaja, Kurmawa, and Jos being targeted and set on fire.

Similarly, in November last year, the then Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, confirmed the conclusion of the investigation into the Kuje attack but stated that the details would not be disclosed due to security concerns.

Related Post

Your reaction

NICE
SAD
FUNNY
OMG
WTF
WOW

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *